I know I ran yesterday but I have been at home all day. Working in the study (which is the coldest room in the house) and the weather has been lovely.
As I have had such a sedate day (physically) I decided I would go for another run to enjoy the lovely weather.
I am glad I did as I had a busy day and accomplished a lot – I accomplished even more by completing today’s 5K.
Ironically it was the same distance as yesterday but with less elevation and yet I was slightly slower. That probably has more to do with running two days in a row than anything else.
So what makes today not ordinary? Well today is my running anniversary!
Three years ago I decided to start running and I could never have imagined where this would have led me. I cannot tell you why I started, something just lit the flame in my mind and thanks to the Get Running app it proved to me that I could run at least 5K. In fact I now average over 5K per run and have run a half marathon.
In three years I have:
- Clocked up 1,793.8 kilometres
- Ran for 213 hours and 2 minutes
- Competed in many 10K races
- Ran several 5K races
- Ran dressed as Santa!
- Run London at the Royal Parks in the Royal Parks Half Marathon
- Run around the moat of the Tower of London
- Got lost on a midday run and ran through the middle of Borough Market
- Run a 10K trail race not realising it was a 10K trail race
- Learnt not to run a 10K the day after a 4 course meal
- Become a reviewer of running paraphernalia for one of the UK’s most popular running web sites
- Been chased by cows!
- Attacked by a dog
- Worn out 9 paris of trainers!
- Raised just over £4,000 for charity!
- Run in various places in the UK, Spain, Canada, Cyprus etc
Who says running is a boring activity?
As well as the boost to my health and mental well being, running has given me more things to write about and a new direction for thingsilikeandthenrun.com
It has also created a huge following and support from all of you guys and for that I am always very grateful.
Here’s to many many more years pounding the streets, fields, beaches and trails!